My go-to brussels sprout recipe! Including a vegetarian/vegan and non-vegetarian option. Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite vegetables to eat in the colder months. Its so easy to make, and comes out great every single time.
- 1 lb. fresh Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup chicken broth OR vegetable broth
- 1 medium shallot roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tb cooking oil of choice. Coconut oil OR Olive Oil
1. Rinse Brussels sprouts under cool water. Trim the hard edge from the bottom of each sprout, pull off any loose leaves, and then cut brussels in half.
2. In a medium to large pan, (I like to use a cast iron pan), heat oil on medium heat. Saute garlic and shallots for 2 min, then add Brussels. Cook Brussels until they appear a little bit brown on the edges, just 3-5 minutes.
3. Add chicken or vegetable broth to pan and then cover. Reducing heat to medium/low, simmer the sprouts for 7-10 minutes, or until they are easily pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, and all of the liquid has evaporated.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy Brussels sprouts as a side to a protein and carb for a balanced and nutritious meal!