My rendition of what is commonly known as a "German Potato Salad." The other day before heading to a cookout where I was in charge of a few sides, I realized I had a bunch of potatoes, but no mayo. This is how my research into potato salad-sans-mayo began. My sister in law gave me her recipe, I researched a few others online and put together this delicious recipe. I am now a much bigger fan of mayo-less potato salads. Especially since most of these salads at cookouts end up sitting outside in the sun for a few hours! Check out the recipe below, and enjoy at your next cookout!
- 2 pounds halved small potatoes (white or red)
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon toasted caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon smoked Paprika
- Cover 2 pounds halved small potatoes with salted water, bring to a boil, and cook until tender; drain and transfer to a large bowl. Meanwhile, heat 1/8 cup olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 chopped onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar. Add to potatoes along with 4 sliced scallions, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika and 1 teaspoon toasted caraway seeds and toss, crushing potatoes slightly; season with salt and pepper.